Name Change Information

All specific questions related to Marriage Certificates and name changes are handled through the city hall where the Marriage Licence was purchased or by contacting the Office of the Registrar General of Ontario (1.800.461.2156)

All Licensed Officiants are responsible to mail the completed Marriage Licence to Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay within 48 hours of your wedding. 

The Record of Solemnization (tear off portion of the licence) is given to each couple on the day of the wedding.

It is not the practice of the licensing office in Thunder Bay to issue a receipt or acknowledgment of registering your marriage. To receive your official Marriage Certificate YOU must apply for it 12 weeks following your wedding. If YOU do not apply for a Marriage Certificate, YOU will not receive one.

We will always follow the policies and procedures of the Ontario government and our licensing body.

For more information please visit:

Government of Ontario

Spousal name change information

Marriage certificate fees

Certificate application information

Marriage certificate application form pdf 

Online certificate application

Online status inquiry for a marriage certificate application in Ontario